The first mill in Vuokala was established in the 1860s, which was converted into a steam mill in 1898, and in the early 1900s a hydroelectric power plant was built to generate electricity. Savonranta was one of the first rural municipalities in Finland to be electrified.
The present mill building dates back to 1937. The mill’s golden age was in the 1950s, when four millers worked and grain from nearby municipalities was milled day and night. Today, the mill is owned by the Savonranta Development Foundation and is kept open by the Savonranta Craftsmen’s Association.
Between 2001 and 2003, the mill was renovated with the support of the Vuokala-Savonranta Fishing Tourism Conditions and Future project. The Vuokala mill is a good place to see the mill’s machinery, which is in good condition and practically in working order. The mill’s wooden machinery has four floors, and the grain travels as much as four kilometres on its way to wheat flour.
The power plant ceased operations in 2020, when the Vuokala rapids were rehabilitated and electricity sales to the national grid became unprofitable.
The mill also hosts art exhibitions during the summer and houses a craft exhibition and shop of the Savonranta craftsmen and a guide point for the Kolovesi National Park. There is a guest marina and two restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the mill.
Lamminniementie 6. Open Tues-Fri 10-16, in summer also Sat 10-14. 044 990 1357 Savonranta Handicraftsmen Association.